The City of Boulder is the Home Rule Municipality that is the county seat and the most populous municipality of Boulder County, and the 11th most populous municipality in the U.S. state of Colorado. Boulder is located at the base of the foothills of the Rocky Mountains at an elevation of 5,430 feet.
- Boulder is famous for its colorful Western history, being a choice destination for hippies in the late 1960s, and as home of the main campus of the University of Colorado, the state’s largest university.
- Furthermore, the city of Boulder frequently acquires top rankings in health, well-being, quality of life, education and art.
- It is from Boulder Creek that Boulder city is believed to have taken its name.
- According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 25.7 square miles.
- Boulder lies in a wide basin beneath Flagstaff Mountain just a few miles east of the continental divide and about 30 miles northwest of Denver.
- Boulder is surrounded by thousands of acres of recreational open space, conservation easements, and nature preserves.
- The Boulder Cruiser Ride grew from a group of friends and friends of friends riding bicycles around Boulder into “an all out public mob”.
- The two largest high schools (grades 9–12) in Boulder are Boulder High School and Fairview High School, both part of BVSD.
- One of the most popular sections of Boulder is the famous Pearl Street Mall, home to numerous shops and restaurants.