President Joe Biden was born on November 20, 1942, in Scranton, Pennsylvania. He was raised in Pennsylvania and Connecticut before earning degrees from Delaware and Syracuse University College of Law. He married Dr. Jill Biden (nee Jacobs), with whom he has had 3 children: Ashley, Beau, and Hunter.
- Joe Biden is widely considered one of the most popular vice presidents in American history due to his kind mannerisms and lack of scandals during his service as VP under Barack Obama (2009-2017). In addition, partly because he had not served many terms as a senator or any other public office for that matter, Biden’s decision to run for president is seen by some as an act of courage.
- Before being elected president in 2020, Biden had run twice for president in 1988 and again in 2008. In both cases, he withdrew from the race early on due to poor poll numbers. Biden has also considered running for President in 2016 but decided not to enter the race after his son Beau’s death in May 2015. He is currently planning on running for president in 2020 after failing to secure an endorsement from Barack Obama during his 2016 bid.
- Joe Biden was born Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. on November 20, 1942, in Scranton, Pennsylvania. His father, Joe Sr., was a car salesman, and his mother, Catherine Eugenia “Jean” Biden (née Finnegan), was a homemaker. His parents were both of Irish Catholic descent, with roots in County Louth. Biden was given the name of Joseph Robinette Biden Sr., after his father’s brother, who had died in infancy.
- Biden’s paternal grandparents, Mary Elizabeth (Robinette) and Joseph Harry Biden, an oil businessman from Baltimore, Maryland, had emigrated to the United States from Ballyporeen, County Limerick, Ireland. The Bidens raised their children in a middle-class family setting. He also has roots in Scranton; many of his relatives worked in the city’s silk mills.
- Joe Biden graduated from Cardinal O’Hara High School in 1964 and the University of Delaware with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history. He studied law at Syracuse University College of Law and obtained his Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from the University of Delaware in 1976. While running for a judgeship, Biden said he came across as “stupid,” as he was “not very smart, but I read a lot.” He joined the Wilmington law firm of Judge William H.huntington Jr. He then practiced at Kassebaum & Biden, now known as Kassebaum Siffert, P.C. On October 18, 1969, Biden and several other young men took part in the Wilmington Ten.
- Biden was elected to the New Castle County Council in 1970.
- Biden lost his first campaign for the U.S. Senate in 1972 but was eventually elected to the seat after campaigning for two years. He became the fifth-youngest senator in U.S. history at that time (at 30 years old). At 36 years old, he became the youngest senator to be elected to office.