Fort Ticonderoga, formerly Fort Carillon, is a large 18th-century star fort built by the Canadians and the French at a narrows near the south end of Lake Champlain in upstate New York in the United States. It was constructed by Canadien Michel Chartier de Lotbinière, Marquis de Lotbinière between 1754 and 1757 during the Seven Years’ War, often referred to as the French and Indian War in the USA.
- It was of strategic importance during the 18th-century colonial conflicts between Great Britainand France, and again played a role during the American Revolutionary War.
- The site controlled a river portage alongside the mouth of the rapids-infested La Chute River in the 3.5 miles between Lake Champlain and Lake George and was strategically placed in conflicts over trade routes between the British-controlled Hudson River Valley and the French-controlled Saint Lawrence River Valley.
- In 1759, the British returned and drove a token French garrison from the fort merely by occupying high ground that threatened the fort.
- The Americans held it until June 1777, when British forces under General John Burgoyne again occupied high ground above the fort and threatened the Continental Army troops, leading them to withdraw from the fort and its surrounding defenses.
- Construction on the star-shaped fort, which Lotbinière based on designs of the renowned French military engineer Vauban, began in October 1755 and then proceeded slowly during the warmer-weather months of 1756 and 1757, using troops stationed at nearby Fort St.
- Frédéric and from Canada.
- Work slowed in 1757, when many of the troops prepared for and participated in the attack on Fort William Henry.
- George Washington, who had never been to Ticonderoga, believed that an overland attack from the north was unlikely, because of the alleged impregnability of Ticonderoga.